Monday, July 28, 2014

The Hesitant Heiress

 The Hesitant Heiress, a brand new historical romance,  releases today from Whitaker House. I am pleased to post a review of the book here. Next Monday we have the treat of an interview with Dawn.

"After being unjustly expelled from the Boston Conservatory of Music, Amaryllis Brigham sees her dreams of founding a music academy in her hometown of Seattle, Washington, disappearing before her very eyes. Now, the only way to achieve her goal comes with high stakes for someone set on avoiding men as much as possible: Marry within the year to inherit the immense fortune of her estranged grandmother. Amaryllis reluctantly moves in to her aunt's Boston home and rubs shoulders with fashionable society. Despite her own misgivings, she soon finds herself quickly falling in love with the most unlikely of men, Nathan Everstone, the envy of every eligible female, whose father has haunted her dreams for the decade following her mother's tragic death. However, Nathan turns out to be much more than he seems...and everything she never knew she wanted. But can she ever really trust an Everstone man?"

From the very beginning, the conflict tugged at my heart and kept me turning pages. Amaryllis Brigham meets her troubles head on with an inspiring faith. But this girl doesn't know how beautiful she is, nor what's in store for her in the person of Nathan Everstone. The characters are richly drawn and engaging. Dawn Crandall's historical research is impeccable, but so expertly woven in that you don't even notice, you're just there. Each chapter is headed with a spot on quote from classic literature.

Her dream of a establishing a music conservatory is attached to her having to marry, something she'd never really considered. A mysterious event in Amaryllis past, one that she doesn't understand and has plagued her much of her youth, threatens to thwart her growing romantic interest. The truth is revealed after much conflict and soul searching. The satisfying ending left me wanting more of these fascinating characters and the storytelling of Dawn Crandall.

I highly recommend this new book. Congratulations, Dawn!

12 comments:

  1. This was an amazing read! Ewe_r_merritt @yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it?! Loved it. Thanks for coming by:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such a lovely review of The Hesitant Heiress, Jody! I'm always amazed at how easily readers are able to explain what's going on in Amaryllis's heart in so few words! It took me about 89,000 to do it! :D I have such a difficult time paring it down--there's just so much I think of all at once! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, I really enjoyed it. I'm going to take another read through at my leisure, without thinking about the review. So well done. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. I intend to do the same! There are some books that deserve more than one read!

      Delete
    3. I love that you gals revere THH as a "re-reader"!!! So happy!! :)

      Delete
  4. Jody, I enjoyed your review, especially including, "Each chapter is headed with a spot on quote from classic literature." Historical fiction is my favorite genre. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen. I was impressed with the relevance of each quote. Thanks for stopping by Love Colored Glasses.

      Delete
  5. I had so much fun finding those quotes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn, are you having way too much fun? Release day is almost here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your review of Dawn's debut novel with us! I, too, am looking forward to seeing what comes next! :-) She is an amazing writer and I know that she is going to gain many reader fans and awards to come.

    Blessings,

    Tina
    tinaturpin(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for saying that, Tina! I think it just made my whole entire day!!! {insert perma-grin here}

      Delete