Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Surprised by Fear

I'm turning 57 on Sunday (19th). Those numbers have never bothered me. Strangely, though, I didn't expect this about getting older. Didn't see it coming. Fear. Yes, I'm a person of faith,. I know we're not supposed to be afraid and I do know where it comes from. Still, I struggle with it sometimes. Just being honest here.

Health issues, finance issues, the state of our country, our children, our spouse, the future. The list is infinite if I let myself think about it. Am I the only baby boomer struggling with fear? I doubt it. I just don't hear anyone saying so. 

It's my thinking that's the problem. I have to remember that the same thing is true now that was true when I was young and strong.

1. God is in control. He's got my back.

2. His steadfast love never ceases, never comes to an end.

3. He has a plan for my life. Random is not in His vocabulary.

I wonder if this struggle is why dear old Prue Benson always sang the same song when it was his turn for a solo at church. "His Eye is on the Sparrow, and I KNOW He watches me." Praise God!

Are you ever afraid?

8 comments:

  1. Great blog Jody! I think this is definitely something we all face and fear as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by Terri. It is, but God is faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy early birthday, Jody!!

    I think everyone gets fearful as they get older. Especially as they watch their parents deal with all the misfortunes of old age. That's something I am dealing with now. My mother will turn 80 in a few months and she has been suffering numerous health issues for several years now. My mother in law as well. So I'm trying to find the determination to find ways to stop my body from seizing up and getting frail. It's easy to forget when you feel so healthy but one look at my mother and I'm jumping on the treadmill. Thinking of starting yoga as well. We'll see...

    Thanks for the post and have a wonderful day on Sunday!

    Cheers,
    Sue (a new Pelican group author)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue! You're right. It can be a motivation as we watch our older relatives. Thanks for the birthday wishes. Prayers and all the best to you in your efforts to help you mom and mil. God Bless! Jody

      Delete
  4. Jody,

    Oh yes, I'm fearful--of becoming a burden, of not being able to write, of developing Alzheimer's (no particular reason, just a big fear of mine). I, too, follow and love Christ and know that what He has in mind for me is for the best. Still, I struggle with fear. Thanks for bringing up a topic that not many people think about openly. It helps to discuss it.

    Blessings,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, thanks for your honesty. It's the weapon of the enemy. We have to learn to grow in faith as we grow older, and turn that fear into cautions - take better care of our physical and spiritual selves. God Bless You:)

      Delete
  5. I never cared about the age number until I hit 61. YIKES! I always thought of myself as middle aged, but a dear friend pointed out that unless I live to be 122, I'm WAY beyond middle aged. (fortunately it's a VERY dear friend LOL).

    I like what Max Lucado says, "Fear will always knock on your door. Just don't invite it in for dinner. And, for heaven's sake, don't offer it a bed for the night!"

    Great blog - keep up the good work! Blessings, Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there – It's great to peruse such intriguing stuff on the Internet as I have had the ability to run across here. I concur with much of what is composed here and I'll be returning to this site once more. Much appreciated again for posting such extraordinary perusing material!! To get new data visit he

    I also gotten a great art and awesome colored glass.


    on Glass--
    colored glass





    ReplyDelete