Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I Fell Down

...and it wasn't pretty. I have lunch with my prayer group every Wednesday. My parking space was a gift, right by the restaurant door. I stepped out of my car and took a step, tripped, and crashed down on my bad knee, then sprawled prostrate on the concrete.Slow motion, surreal, floating. On my way down I saw two grown men come out of the restaurant, look right at me, and then they turned and walked...away. No, it was more of a saunter, toothpicks protruding from their mouths.
Not me...google free image, lol

The disbelief, hurt and anger actually helped me get myself up. A kind woman rushed over and picked up my purse that went one way, and papers that went another. I'm afraid I did call in the direction of the two men, "Thanks for your help." I don't know if they heard me, but they just kept on keepin' on.

Oh, well, I was fine. I went in to the comfort of my friends.  Knee hurt the next day, but I got over it. When I finally got home that night, I cried about it. I had to sit down and figure out why.

I've heard of this happening before. We've all seen Facebook videos of people being beaten to a pulp while others walked by without rendering aid. The value of human life has diminished to a great degree. I know there are all kinds of reasons for that. But what I want to talk about today is this:

The feeling that came over me as I lay on the ground and watched those two men walk away was shocking to my system. I felt completely worthless, abandoned, afraid, just down right hurt. Angry too. Prayer helped me forgive those two guys, but there was more working in my spirit. What could I learn from this?

I sensed the Father telling me that

1. There are people all around me feeling abandoned and worthless.

2. Many can't pick themselves up and enter the comfort of friends and family.

3. They need the love of Jesus, and I am to be a vessel for that.

So, I'm not quitting my job and joining the Peace Corp or anything, but I am motivated to try and be aware of the those around me needing to be "picked up off the ground."  Father, open my eyes:)

8 comments:

  1. Jody, I'm so sorry you had to experience that - the fall and the shocking lack of concern of those ungentlemanly gentlemen! But what a wonderful lesson you've turned it into. You're right...all around us, people have fallen and can't get up. You've made me want to notice and do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Delia. We just have to keep our hearts open. Hard to do sometimes. Glad you stopped by:)

      Delete
  2. I think we have reached a point in our society when just plain old good manners and human kindness to one another is lacking. I don't know how to fix it other than to model the behavior I would like to receive myself to others. You are such a sweetheart, I am glad you asked God what it meant instead of letting it continue to hurt your heart. I have told my children many times, I have to change MY reactions to others, as I sure can't change them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Gayle. I chose "Helping Others" as the theme of my story time this week. Thanks for coming by:)

      Delete
  3. I'm happy you are okay. Lessons of life come in painful ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gay. Glad you came by. You're right, and learning something makes it a little less painful.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this eye opener! Be the blessing is a redundant theme in my life that never gets old. Showing His love through our words and deeds is what we're here for!

    ReplyDelete